Re: [RFC] dma-mapping: introduce dma_can_skip_unmap()

From: Robin Murphy
Date: Fri Mar 01 2024 - 07:42:52 EST

On 2024-03-01 11:50 am, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
On Fri, Mar 01, 2024 at 11:38:25AM +0000, Robin Murphy wrote:
Not only is this idea not viable, the entire premise seems flawed - the
reasons for virtio needing to use the DMA API at all are highly likely to be
the same reasons for it needing to use the DMA API *properly* anyway.

The idea has nothing to do with virtio per se

Sure, I can see that, but if virtio is presented as the justification for doing this then it's the justification I'm going to look at first. And the fact is that it *does* seem to have particular significance, since having up to 19 DMA addresses involved in a single transfer is very much an outlier compared to typical hardware drivers. Furthermore the fact that DMA API support was retrofitted to the established virtio design means I would always expect it to run up against more challenges than a hardware driver designed around the expectation that DMA buffers have DMA addresses.

- we are likely not the
only driver that wastes a lot of memory (hot in cache, too) keeping DMA
addresses around for the sole purpose of calling DMA unmap. On a bunch
of systems unmap is always a nop and we could save some memory if there
was a way to find out. What is proposed is an API extension allowing
that for anyone - not just virtio.

And the point I'm making is that that "always" is a big assumption, and in fact for the situations where it is robustly true we already have the DEFINE_DMA_UNMAP_{ADDR,LEN} mechanism. I'd consider it rare for DMA addresses to be stored in isolation, as opposed to being part of some kind of buffer descriptor (or indeed struct scatterlist, for an obvious example) that a driver or subsystem still has to keep track of anyway, so in general I believe the scope for saving decidedly small amounts of memory at runtime is also considerably less than you might be imagining.

Thanks,
Robin.