Linux support for a 7 segment LED display

From: Chris Packham
Date: Sun Feb 11 2024 - 15:46:31 EST

Hi Blinkenlight enthusiasts,

I'm looking for something that I figured must exists but maybe it's so
niche that no-one has bothered to upstream a driver for it.

I have a requirement to support a 7-segment LED display[1] (one that can
display a single digit from 0-9). Hardware wise it's just a bunch of
individual GPIOs connected to each segment (plus an extra one for a
dot). I can't see anything obvious in drivers/leds but maybe I'm looking
in the wrong place. Or maybe it's the kind of thing on PC hardware that
is just driven by the BIOS without the operating system knowing about it.

Is there an existing in-kernel driver for such a thing?

Thanks,
Chris

--

[1] - https://www.kingbrightusa.com/images/catalog/SPEC/SA36-11GWA.pdf