Re: [REGRESSION] 6.7.0: ASoC: SOF: refactoring breaks sof-rt5682 audio on chromebook; successfully bisected

From: Linux regression tracking #update (Thorsten Leemhuis)
Date: Sun Feb 11 2024 - 07:47:09 EST

On 02.02.24 04:12, Mole Shang wrote:
> I'm relatively new here, first time reporting a regression, so apologies in
> advance if I'm doing something wrong.
>
> I'm using Arch Linux (linux-mainline kernel) on my chromebook Acer Spin 713-2W
> (Voxel), and after upgrading linux-mainline from 6.7-rc4 to 6.7-rc5 the audio
> setup isn't working anymore. Firstly I suspected its some changes in the sof-
> firmware, yet got no luck in upgrading sof-firmware (2023.09.2 -> 2023.12).
>
> On certain chromebooks, audio setup needs custom ALSA ucm confs [1], but after
> contacting the chromebook-linux-audio developer [2], I think it's not a conf
> problem, but rather a kernel regression.
>
> After hours of bisecting, the first bad commit 31ed8da (ASoC: SOF: sof-audio:
> Modify logic for enabling/disabling topology cores) ensures the regression.
> demsg log pasted below:

Thx for reporting this.

For the record, in case anyone lands here and wonders if nothing
happened. The discussion moved elsewhere and a fix is heading towards
mainline currently:

#regzbot link: https://github.com/thesofproject/linux/issues/4807
#regzbot monitor:
https://lore.kernel.org/all/20240208133432.1688-1-peter.ujfalusi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/
#regzbot fix: ASoC: SOF: ipc3-topology: Fix pipeline tear down logic
#regzbot ignore-activity

Everything you wanna know about Linux kernel regression tracking:
https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/about/#tldr
That page also explains what to do if mails like this annoy you.