Re: [linus:master] [eventfs] 852e46e239: BUG:unable_to_handle_page_fault_for_address

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Mon Jan 29 2024 - 12:01:43 EST

On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 20:36:12 -0800
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> End result: the d_instantiate() needs to be done *after* the inode has
> been fully filled in.
>
> Alternatively, you could
>
> (a) not drop the eventfs_mutex around the create_dir() call
>
> (b) take the eventfs_mutex around all of set_top_events_ownership()
>
> and just fix it by having the lock protect the lack of ordering.

Hi Linus,

Thanks for the analysis. I have a patch that removes the dropping of the
mutex over the create_dir/file() calls, and lockdep hasn't complained about
it.

I was going to add that to my queue for the next merge window along with
other clean ups but this looks like it actually fixes a real bug. I'll move
that over to my urgent queue and start testing it.

-- Steve