Re: Recent-ish changes in binfmt_elf made my program segfault

From: Linux regression tracking #adding (Thorsten Leemhuis)
Date: Wed Jan 24 2024 - 01:59:50 EST

[TLDR: I'm adding this report to the list of tracked Linux kernel
regressions; the text you find below is based on a few templates
paragraphs you might have encountered already in similar form.
See link in footer if these mails annoy you.]

On 22.01.24 13:01, Jan Bujak wrote:

> I recently updated my kernel and one of my programs started segfaulting.
>
> [...]
> I bisected the issue to the following commit:
>
> commit 585a018627b4d7ed37387211f667916840b5c5ea
> Author: Eric W. Biederman <ebiederm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date:   Thu Sep 28 20:24:29 2023 -0700
>
>     binfmt_elf: Support segments with 0 filesz and misaligned starts
> [...]

Thanks for the report. To be sure the issue doesn't fall through the
cracks unnoticed, I'm adding it to regzbot, the Linux kernel regression
tracking bot:

#regzbot ^introduced 585a018627b4d7ed37387211f667916840b5c5e
#regzbot title binfmt_elf: programs started segfaulting
#regzbot ignore-activity

Everything you wanna know about Linux kernel regression tracking:
https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/about/#tldr
That page also explains what to do if mails like this annoy you.