Re: [RFC 0/3] reading proc/pid/maps under RCU

From: Vlastimil Babka
Date: Tue Jan 16 2024 - 09:42:29 EST

On 1/15/24 19:38, Suren Baghdasaryan wrote:

Hi,

> The issue this patchset is trying to address is mmap_lock contention when
> a low priority task (monitoring, data collecting, etc.) blocks a higher
> priority task from making updated to the address space. The contention is
> due to the mmap_lock being held for read when reading proc/pid/maps.
> With maple_tree introduction, VMA tree traversals are RCU-safe and per-vma
> locks make VMA access RCU-safe. this provides an opportunity for lock-less
> reading of proc/pid/maps. We still need to overcome a couple obstacles:
> 1. Make all VMA pointer fields used for proc/pid/maps content generation
> RCU-safe;
> 2. Ensure that proc/pid/maps data tearing, which is currently possible at
> page boundaries only, does not get worse.

Hm I thought we were to only choose this more complicated in case additional
tearing becomes a problem, and at first assume that if software can deal
with page boundary tearing, it can deal with sub-page tearing too?

> The patchset deals with these issues but there is a downside which I would
> like to get input on:
> This change introduces unfairness towards the reader of proc/pid/maps,
> which can be blocked by an overly active/malicious address space modifyer.

So this is a consequence of the validate() operation, right? We could avoid
this if we allowed sub-page tearing.