[RFC 0/3] reading proc/pid/maps under RCU

From: Suren Baghdasaryan
Date: Mon Jan 15 2024 - 13:38:52 EST

The issue this patchset is trying to address is mmap_lock contention when
a low priority task (monitoring, data collecting, etc.) blocks a higher
priority task from making updated to the address space. The contention is
due to the mmap_lock being held for read when reading proc/pid/maps.
With maple_tree introduction, VMA tree traversals are RCU-safe and per-vma
locks make VMA access RCU-safe. this provides an opportunity for lock-less
reading of proc/pid/maps. We still need to overcome a couple obstacles:
1. Make all VMA pointer fields used for proc/pid/maps content generation
RCU-safe;
2. Ensure that proc/pid/maps data tearing, which is currently possible at
page boundaries only, does not get worse.

The patchset deals with these issues but there is a downside which I would
like to get input on:
This change introduces unfairness towards the reader of proc/pid/maps,
which can be blocked by an overly active/malicious address space modifyer.
A couple of ways I though we can address this issue are:
1. After several lock-less retries (or some time limit) to fall back to
taking mmap_lock.
2. Employ lock-less reading only if the reader has low priority,
indicating that blocking it is not critical.
3. Introducing a separate procfs file which publishes the same data in
lock-less manner.

I imagine a combination of these approaches can also be employed.
I would like to get feedback on this from the Linux community.

Note: mmap_read_lock/mmap_read_unlock sequence inside validate_map()
can be replaced with more efficiend rwsem_wait() proposed by Matthew
in [1].

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/all/ZZ1+ZicgN8dZ3zj3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

Suren Baghdasaryan (3):
mm: make vm_area_struct anon_name field RCU-safe
seq_file: add validate() operation to seq_operations
mm/maps: read proc/pid/maps under RCU

fs/proc/internal.h | 3 +
fs/seq_file.c | 24 ++++++-
include/linux/mm_inline.h | 10 ++-