Re: [GIT PULL] Scheduler changes for v6.8

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Jan 12 2024 - 20:25:22 EST

On Fri, 12 Jan 2024 at 17:04, Qais Yousef <qyousef@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That is odd. I can't see how the patch can cause this yet, could you try with
> a different compiler if possible?

I use two different compilers - I do my allmodconfig builds with gcc,
and the kernels I boot with clang, so my problems have been with a
kernel built with

clang version 17.0.6

but to check that it's not a compiler issue I just did another try
with my current public tip of tree (ie *without* any reverts for this
issue) and gcc:

gcc version 13.2.1

and the behavior is exactly the same: all cores are stuck at 2.2GHz.

So no, it's not compiler-dependent.

> I usually use perfetto but it should be easy to see frequency updates from
> power/cpu_frequency trace event.
>
> echo 1 | sudo tee /sys/kernel/tracing/tracing_on
> echo 1 | sudo tee /sys/kernel/tracing/events/power/cpu_frequency/enable
> sudo cat /sys/kernel/tracing/trace

Shows absolutely nothing. Or rather, it shows the header with

# entries-in-buffer/entries-written: 0/0 #P:64

and that's it.

With a *working* kernel, I get events, setting the frequency to either
2.2GHz (idle) or 3.8GHz (work).

IOW, the tracing output is 100% consistent with "that commit breaks everything".

Linus