Re: [GIT PULL] Documentation for 6.8

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Jan 11 2024 - 22:53:37 EST

On Mon, 8 Jan 2024 at 10:59, Jonathan Corbet <corbet@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> - The minimum Sphinx requirement has been raised to 2.4.4, following a
> warning that was added in 6.2.

Well, speaking of warnings, github now has this "dependabot" thing
that warns about bad minimum requirements due to tooling that has
security issues.

And it warns about our "jinja2 < 3.1" requirement, because apparently
that can cause issues:

"The xmlattr filter in affected versions of Jinja accepts keys
containing spaces. XML/HTML attributes cannot contain spaces, as each
would then be interpreted as a separate attribute. If an application
accepts keys (as opposed to only values) as user input, and renders
these in pages that other users see as well, an attacker could use
this to inject other attributes and perform XSS. Note that accepting
keys as user input is not common or a particularly intended use case
of the xmlattr filter, and an application doing so should already be
verifying what keys are provided regardless of this fix"

with affected versions being marked as < 3.1.3 and fixed in Jinja2 3.1.3

I'm ignoring this github dependabit warning since the issue seems to
be rather irrelevant for our doc use, but I thought I'd mention it.

Linus