Re: [GIT PULL] bcachefs updates for 6.8

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Jan 10 2024 - 20:47:51 EST

On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 at 16:58, Kent Overstreet <kent.overstreet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> ...And how does that make any sense? "The warnings weren't getting
> cleaned up, so get rid of them - except not really, just move them off
> to the side so they'll be more annoying when they do come up"...

Honestly,the checkpatch warnings are often garbage too.

The whole deprecation warnings never worked. They don't work in
checkpatch either.

> Perhaps we could've just switched to deprecation warnings being on in a
> W=1 build?

No, because the whole idea of "let me mark something deprecated and
then not just remove it" is GARBAGE.

If somebody wants to deprecate something, it is up to *them* to finish
the job. Not annoy thousands of other developers with idiotic
warnings.

Linus