Re: [BUG] SHA-3 causes kmod 28 to segfault

From: Dimitri John Ledkov
Date: Mon Jan 08 2024 - 13:15:12 EST

Hi,

On Mon, 8 Jan 2024 at 16:38, Russell King (Oracle)
<linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When building 6.7 under Debian Oldstable with kmod 28, the installation
> of modules fails during depmod with a SEGV.

What is your kernel configuration, and I hope you make config choices
compatible with your target host OS.

> Running under gdb:

> __strlen_sse2 () at ../sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/strlen-vec.S:133
>
> I have no further information as I can't remember how to get the debug
> info for packages under Debian - and even if I could, it's probably a
> bug in the kmod package that Debian will have absolutely no interest in
> fixing (based on previous experience reporting bugs to Debian.)

For latest kernel and latest kernel features support in kmod, latest
kmod is required. I.e. patched with
https://github.com/kmod-project/kmod/commit/510c8b7f7455c6613dd1706e5e41ec7b09cf6703

Or ensure that you use a compatible kernel configuration by for
example using SHA256 for kernel module signing.

SHA3 is added as a future alternative to the currently recommended
SHA2 based hashes, as it seems not great to only have a single family
of hashes supported out of the box that are still deemed to be secure.

--
Dimitri

Sent from Ubuntu Pro
https://ubuntu.com/pro