Re: Automatically update drm CI dependencies?

From: Helen Koike
Date: Mon Jan 08 2024 - 09:53:38 EST

On 20/12/2023 08:11, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
On 12/19/23 23:43, Helen Koike wrote:
Hi,

On 14/12/2023 06:38, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
Hi all,

I'm referring to dependabot PR on torvalds.git GitHub mirror [1]. I know
that PRs submitted there are not accepted (the repo is essentially read-only
mirror), hence this mail question.

In summary, dependabot submitted automated PR that bumps package versions
in `drivers/gpu/drm/ci/xfails/requirements.txt`. In this case, pip was
upgraded to 23.3.

 From my experience, such automated PRs can pollute commit history (in
some GitHub projects these PR kind can contribute up to half of total
commits since the beginning of project). And in some projects, dependabot
PRs are automatically merged without any maintainer intervention.

Does such PRs (when submitted to LKML these will be patches) make sense
for DRM subsystem?

Thanks.

[1]: https://github.com/torvalds/linux/pull/807

imho I rather not having this automated patches, but I would like to hear the opinions from others.

But why? Did you mean that making the CI always depends on latest version
of dependencies create another maintenance variable (and may constantly
broke CI)?

Confused...

Sorry I didn't reply earlier.

I'm ok with that if it doesn't produce much noise, I also think that we need an automated test to see if the tool is still working as expected before merging the patch.
The pip there is just used for a helper tool, it is nothing critical.

Regards,
Helen