Re: EEVDF and NUMA balancing

From: Vincent Guittot
Date: Thu Jan 04 2024 - 11:27:27 EST

On Fri, 29 Dec 2023 at 16:18, Julia Lawall <julia.lawall@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Yes, that is your root cause. something, most probably in interrupt
> > > context, wakes up your CPU and expect to wake up a thread

> > > that can be a timer, interrupt, ipi, rcu ...
> > > a trace should give you some hints
> >
> > I have the impression that it is the goal of calling nohz_csd_func on each
> > clock tick that causes the calls to need_resched. If the idle process is
> > polling, call_function_single_prep_ipi just sets need_resched to get the

Your system is calling the polling mode and not the default
cpuidle_idle_call() ? This could explain why I don't see such problem
on my system which doesn't have polling

Are you forcing the use of polling mode ?
If yes, could you check that this problem disappears without forcing
polling mode ?

> > idle process to stop polling. But there is no actual task that the idle
> > process should schedule. The need_resched then prevents the idle process
> > from stealing, due to the CPU_NEWLY_IDLE flag, contradicting the whole
> > purpose of calling nohz_csd_func in the first place.

Do I understand correctly that your sequence is :
CPU A CPU B
cpu enters idle
do_idle()
loop in cpu_idle_poll