Re: sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl/soundwire 6.6.8 kernel outputs no sound on speakers but works on headphones => missing alsa-ucm-conf

From: Marc MERLIN
Date: Tue Jan 02 2024 - 14:14:48 EST

On Tue, Jan 02, 2024 at 10:03:29AM -0800, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> First, a big thanks for the quick reply and help.
> For the benefit of archives and the next potential person looking for
> this, my debian system was lacking
> alsa-ucm-conf
> which for this soundcare is not optional at all.

For debian users, the other problem is that a lot of firmware is missing
0000:00:1f.3: Direct firmware load for intel/sof-tplg/sof-hda-generic-2ch.tplg failed with error -2
0000:00:1f.3: error: tplg request firmware intel/sof-tplg/sof-hda-generic-2ch.tplg failed err: -2
0000:00:1f.3: you may need to download the firmware from https://github.com/thesofproject/sof-bin/

merlin:~# aptitude search '?broken-reverse-recommends(?installed)' > /tmp/missing
merlin:~# grep firmware /tmp/missing
p firmware-ath9k-htc - firmware for AR7010 and AR9271 USB wireless adapters
p fwupd-amd64-signed - Tools to manage UEFI firmware updates (signed)
merlin:~# grep sof /tmp/missing
merlin:~#

This means there are no relevant packages with 'sof' or 'firmware' that
were recommended, and I had to find this:

merlin:~# apt-get install -t unstable firmware-sof-signed

That package was also missing and not suggested by any package is seems,
but it was easier to find thanks to kernel dmesg. That said I had to
look in ubuntu to see what package those files came from as the package
was installed in that test ubuntu image I used and missing from my
debian12

You know this, I'm sure just adding it to the thread for google indexing.

Marc

Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/ | PGP 7F55D5F27AAF9D08