Re: 6.6.8 stable: crash in folio_mark_dirty

From: Matthew Wilcox
Date: Mon Jan 01 2024 - 09:11:31 EST

On Mon, Jan 01, 2024 at 07:33:16PM +0800, Hillf Danton wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Jan 2024 09:07:52 +0000 Matthew Wilcox
> > On Mon, Jan 01, 2024 at 09:55:04AM +0800, Hillf Danton wrote:
> > > On Sun, 31 Dec 2023 13:07:03 +0000 Matthew Wilcox <willy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> > > What is missed here is the same check [1] in invalidate_inode_pages2_range(),
> > > so I built no wheel.
> > >
> > > folio_lock(folio);
> > > if (unlikely(folio->mapping != mapping)) {
> > > folio_unlock(folio);
> > > continue;
> > > }
> > >
> > > [1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/mm/truncate.c#n658
> >
> > That's entirely different. That's checking in the truncate path whether
> > somebody else already truncated this page. What I was showing was why
> > a page found through a page table walk cannot have been truncated (which
> > is actually quite interesting, because it's the page table lock that
> > prevents the race).
> >
> Feel free to shed light on how ptl protects folio->mapping.

The documentation for __folio_mark_dirty() hints at it:

* The caller must hold folio_memcg_lock(). Most callers have the folio
* locked. A few have the folio blocked from truncation through other
* means (eg zap_vma_pages() has it mapped and is holding the page table
* lock). This can also be called from mark_buffer_dirty(), which I
* cannot prove is always protected against truncate.

Re-reading that now, I _think_ mark_buffer_dirty() always has to be
called with a reference on the bufferhead, which means that a racing
truncate will fail due to

invalidate_inode_pages2_range -> invalidate_complete_folio2 ->
filemap_release_folio -> try_to_free_buffers -> drop_buffers -> buffer_busy

>From an mm point of view, what is implicit is that truncate calls
unmap_mapping_folio -> unmap_mapping_range_tree ->
unmap_mapping_range_vma -> zap_page_range_single -> unmap_single_vma ->
unmap_page_range -> zap_p4d_range -> zap_pud_range -> zap_pmd_range ->
zap_pte_range -> pte_offset_map_lock()

So a truncate will take the page lock, then spin on the pte lock
until the racing munmap() has finished (ok, this was an exit(), not
a munmap(), but exit() does an implicit munmap()).