Re: "Link in bio" instead of Link:/Closes: trailer

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman
Date: Thu Dec 21 2023 - 08:10:12 EST

On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 07:57:21PM +0700, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
> On 12/21/23 18:51, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 06:15:50PM +0700, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Let's say that there is a content creator who submits her first kernel
> >> patch (touching drivers/staging/ of course to get her feet wet).
> >> The patch supposes to fix a reported bug, with appropriate Fixes: tag.
> >> But instead of using Link: or Closes: tag to the actual bug report in
> >> the patch, she instead writes "Link to the bug report in my bio", as
> >> it is the norm in social media world. Here in the context, her bio is
> >> LinkedIn profile (IDK if there is a way to add arbitrary link there).
> >> The link in LinkedIn profile, when clicked, will list many links
> >> (including her usual social media campaigns and of course the bug report),
> >> which makes reviewers confused about which link to the bug report she
> >> means. In some cases, she may disambiguate by saying in the patch,
> >> "Link to the bug report no. 99", to refer to the specific link number.
> >>
> >> Is such practice a good idea?
> >
> > No.
>
> why?

Exactly, why? What problem are you trying to solve here that has
actually come up in any sort of frequency?

"Link: " is something that should be used to point to a well-known and
stable reference for any future things, like red hat's bugzilla, or
lore.kernel.org. It's not for random social-media link reputation
spamming, sorry.

The "proper" way to handle this is to have in your Linked-in, or
whatever social media site you like, a list of your committed patches in
the git.kernel.org tree, don't polute the kernel log please.

greg k-h