Re: [Patch v2 2/2] thunderbolt: Teardown tunnels and reset downstream ports created by boot firmware

From: Sanath S
Date: Thu Dec 21 2023 - 04:37:08 EST

On 12/20/2023 10:31 PM, Sanath S wrote:

On 12/20/2023 6:28 PM, Mika Westerberg wrote:
On Tue, Dec 19, 2023 at 08:04:24PM +0200, Mika Westerberg wrote:
One additional question though, say we have PCIe tunnel established by
the BIOS CM and we do the "reset", that means there will be hot-remove
on the PCIe side and then hotplug again, does this slow down the boot
considerably? We have some delays there in the PCIe code that might hit
us here although I agree that we definitely prefer working system rather
than fast-booting non-working system but perhaps the delays are not
noticeable by the end-user?
I've not observed any delay which is noticeable. As soon as I get the login
screen
and check dmesg, it would already be enumerated.
Okay, I need to try it on my side too.
One additional thing that came to mind. Please check with some device
with a real PCIe endpoint. For instance there is the integrated xHCI
controller on Intel Titan Ridge and Goshen Ridge based docks. With TR it
is easy because it does not support USB4 so xHCI is brought up
immediately once there is PCIe tunnel. For GR (the OWC dock you have) it
is disabled when the link is USB4 (because USB 3.x is tunneled as well)
but you can get it enabled too if you connect it with an active TBT3
cable.
Sure. I'll check with these combinations.
Can you name any docks that meets these requirements ? I'll try to get hold
of it here and check.