Re: [GIT PULL] hotfixes for 6.7-rc6

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Dec 15 2023 - 15:12:30 EST

On Fri, 15 Dec 2023 at 07:16, Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yu Zhao (4):
> mm/mglru: fix underprotected page cache
> mm/mglru: try to stop at high watermarks
> mm/mglru: respect min_ttl_ms with memcgs
> mm/mglru: reclaim offlined memcgs harder

Entirely unrelated to this pull request (which I already pulled and
pushed out, as noted by pr-tracker-bot), since I looked at these it
just reminded me about a question I've had for a while...

Do we have any long-term (or even short-term?) plans to just make
mglru be the one and only model?

Yes, right now it's not just a Kconfig choice, but a real technical
issue too: it depends on having enough flags available, so we have
that "cannot use it on 32-bit with sparsemem".

But I'm hoping there is a plan or a workaround for that?

Because I feel like we really don't want to keep this "two different
models" situation around forever.

Linus