Re: [RFC v2] mm: Multi-Gen LRU: fix use mm/page_idle/bitmap

From: Yu Zhao
Date: Fri Dec 15 2023 - 01:47:42 EST

On Fri, Dec 8, 2023 at 12:12 AM Henry Huang <henry.hj@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks for replying this RFC.
>
> > 1. page_idle/bitmap isn't a capable interface at all -- yes, Google
> > proposed the idea [1], but we don't really use it anymore because of
> > its poor scalability.
>
> In our environment, we use /sys/kernel/mm/page_idle/bitmap to check
> pages whether were accessed during a peroid of time.

Is it a production environment? If so, what's your
1. scan interval
2. memory size

I'm trying to understand why scalability isn't a problem for you. On
an average server, there are hundreds of millions of PFNs, so it'd be
very expensive to use that ABI even for a time interval of minutes.

> We manage all pages
> idle time in userspace. Then use a prediction algorithm to select pages
> to reclaim. These pages would more likely be idled for a long time.

"There is a system in place now that is based on a user-space process
that reads a bitmap stored in sysfs, but it has a high CPU and memory
overhead, so a new approach is being tried."
https://lwn.net/Articles/787611/

Could you elaborate how you solved this problem?

> We only need kernel to tell use whether a page is accessed, a boolean
> value in kernel is enough for our case.

How do you define "accessed"? I.e., through page tables or file
descriptors or both?

> > 2. PG_idle/young, being a boolean value, has poor granularity. If
> > anyone must use page_idle/bitmap for some specific reason, I'd
> > recommend exporting generation numbers instead.
>
> Yes, at first time, we try using multi-gen LRU proactvie scan and
> exporting generation&refs number to do the same thing.
>
> But there are serveral problems:
>
> 1. multi-gen LRU only care about self-memcg pages. In our environment,
> it's likely to see that different memcg's process share pages.

This is related to my question above: are those pages mapped into
different memcgs or not?

> multi-gen LRU only update gen of pages in current memcg. It's hard to
> judge a page whether is accessed depends on gen update.

This depends. I'd be glad to elaborate after you clarify the above.

> We still have no ideas how to solve this problem.
>
> 2. We set swappiness 0, and use proactive scan to select cold pages
> & proactive reclaim to swap anon pages. But we can't control passive
> scan(can_swap = false), which would make anon pages cold/hot inversion
> in inc_min_seq.

There is an option to prevent the inversion, IIUC, the force_scan
option is what you are looking for.