Automatically update drm CI dependencies?

From: Bagas Sanjaya
Date: Thu Dec 14 2023 - 04:38:55 EST

Hi all,

I'm referring to dependabot PR on torvalds.git GitHub mirror [1]. I know
that PRs submitted there are not accepted (the repo is essentially read-only
mirror), hence this mail question.

In summary, dependabot submitted automated PR that bumps package versions
in `drivers/gpu/drm/ci/xfails/requirements.txt`. In this case, pip was
upgraded to 23.3.

From my experience, such automated PRs can pollute commit history (in
some GitHub projects these PR kind can contribute up to half of total
commits since the beginning of project). And in some projects, dependabot
PRs are automatically merged without any maintainer intervention.

Does such PRs (when submitted to LKML these will be patches) make sense
for DRM subsystem?

Thanks.

[1]: https://github.com/torvalds/linux/pull/807

--
An old man doll... just what I always wanted! - Clara