Re: Modifying isolcpus, nohz_full, and rcu_nocb kernel parameters at runtime

From: Frederic Weisbecker
Date: Tue Dec 12 2023 - 18:57:17 EST

On Tue, Dec 12, 2023 at 03:18:43PM -0500, Waiman Long wrote:

> > > Thank you Waiman for the response. It would seem that getting similar
> > > functionality through cgroups/cpusets is the only option at the moment. Is it
> > > completely out of the question to possibly patch the kernel to modify these
> > > parameters at runtime? Or would that entail a significant change that might
> > > not be so trivial to accomplish? For instance, the solution wouldn’t be as
> > > simple as patching the kernel to make these writeable and then calling the
> > > same functions which run at boot-time when these parameters are originally
> > > written?
> > As for nohz_full (which implies rcu_nocb), it's certainly possible to make it
> > tunable at runtime via cpusets. If people really want it, I'm willing to help.
>
> As said by Phil, your help in in enabling dynamic rcu_nocb will be greatly
> appreciated.

rcu_nocb is already ready for that. The not yet ready part is nohz_full and its
several components (tick, remote tick, [hr-]timers affinity, workqueues affinity, kthreads
affinity, vmstat, buffer head, etc...). Last debate on plumbers suggested that
nohz_full should be dynamically turned on/off only on offline CPUs. That will
indeed simplify the problem.

> My current thought is to have a root level
> cpuset.cpus.isolation_control file to enable additional CPU isolation like
> rcu_nocb to be applied to CPUs in isolated partitions.

Last time I tried that, Peter Zijlstra was more in favour of an isolate all or nothing
switch by default for nohz_full that would include rcu_nocb. And then if people
are interested in something more finegrained, introduce such a file to control
individual features (see
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/YpIwsiaY2IPK96WO@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/ )

But so far I never heard about the need for such a finegrained isolation. Users of
nohz_full= seem to want to isolate everything out.

Thanks.