Re: [net-next v1 09/16] page_pool: device memory support

From: Mina Almasry
Date: Mon Dec 11 2023 - 13:14:22 EST

On Mon, Dec 11, 2023 at 3:51 AM Yunsheng Lin <linyunsheng@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2023/12/11 12:04, Mina Almasry wrote:

> >> The only other option is to implement another page_pool for ppiov and
> >> have the driver create page_pool or ppiov_pool depending on the state
> >> of the netdev_rx_queue (or some helper in the net stack to do that for
> >> the driver). This introduces some code duplication. The ppiov_pool &
> >> page_pool would look similar in implementation.
>
> I think there is a design pattern already to deal with this kind of problem,
> refactoring common code used by both page_pool and ppiov into a library to
> aovid code duplication if most of them have similar implementation.

Code can be refactored if it's identical, not if it is similar. I
suspect the page_pools will be only similar, and if you're not willing
to take devmem handling into the page pool then refactoring page_pool
code into helpers that do devmem handling may also not be an option.

> >> But this was all discussed in detail in RFC v2 and the last response I
> >> heard from Jesper was in favor if this approach, if I understand
> >> correctly:
> >>
> >> https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/7aedc5d5-0daf-63be-21bc-3b724cc1cab9@xxxxxxxxxx/
> >>
> >> Would love to have the maintainer weigh in here.
> >>

> > I should note we may be able to remove some of the checking, but maybe not all.
> >
> > - Checks that disable page fragging for ppiov can be removed once
> > ppiov has frag support (in this series or follow up).
> >
> > - If we use page->pp_frag_count (or page->pp_ref_count) for
> > refcounting ppiov, we can remove the if checking in the refcounting.

I'm not sure this is actually possible in the short term. The
page_pool uses both page->_refcount and page->pp_frag_count for
refcounting, and I will not be able to remove the special handling
around page->_refcount as i'm not allowed to call page_ref_*() APIs on
a non-struct page.

> > - We may be able to store the dma_addr of the ppiov in page->dma_addr,
> > but I'm unsure if that actually works, because the dma_buf dmaddr is
> > dma_addr_t (u32 or u64), but page->dma_addr is unsigned long (4 bytes
> > I think). But if it works for pages I may be able to make it work for
> > ppiov as well.
> >
> > - Checks that obtain the page->pp can work with ppiov if we align the
> > offset of page->pp and ppiov->pp.
> >
> > - Checks around page->pp_magic can be removed if we also have offset
> > aligned ppiov->pp_magic.
> >
> > Sadly I don't see us removing the checking for these other cases:
> >
> > - page_is_pfmemalloc(): I'm not allowed to pass a non-struct page into
> > that helper.
>
> We can do similar trick like above as bit 1 of page->pp_magic is used to
> indicate that if it is a pfmemalloc page.

Likely yes.

> > - page_to_nid(): I'm not allowed to pass a non-struct page into that helper.
>
> Yes, this one need special case.
>

> > - page_pool_free_va(): ppiov have no va.
>
> Doesn't the skb_frags_readable() checking will protect the page_pool_free_va()
> from being called on devmem?

This function seems to be only called from veth which doesn't support
devmem. I can remove the handling there.

> > - page_pool_sync_for_dev/page_pool_dma_map: ppiov backed by dma-buf
> > fundamentally can't get mapped again.
>
> Can we just fail the page_pool creation with PP_FLAG_DMA_MAP and
> DMA_ATTR_SKIP_CPU_SYNC flags for devmem provider?

Jakub says PP_FLAG_DMA_MAP must be enabled for devmem, such that the
page_pool handles the dma mapping of the devmem and the driver doesn't
use it on its own.

We may fail creating the page pool on PP_FLAG_DMA_SYNC_DEV maybe, and
remove the checking from page_pool_sync_for_dev(), I think.

--
Thanks,
Mina