Re: [net-next v1 06/16] netdev: support binding dma-buf to netdevice

From: David Ahern
Date: Sat Dec 09 2023 - 18:29:15 EST

On 12/8/23 12:22 PM, Mina Almasry wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 8, 2023 at 9:48 AM David Ahern <dsahern@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On 12/7/23 5:52 PM, Mina Almasry wrote:
>>> +
>>> + xa_for_each(&binding->bound_rxq_list, xa_idx, rxq) {
>>> + if (rxq->binding == binding) {
>>> + /* We hold the rtnl_lock while binding/unbinding
>>> + * dma-buf, so we can't race with another thread that
>>> + * is also modifying this value. However, the driver
>>> + * may read this config while it's creating its
>>> + * rx-queues. WRITE_ONCE() here to match the
>>> + * READ_ONCE() in the driver.
>>> + */
>>> + WRITE_ONCE(rxq->binding, NULL);
>>> +
>>> + rxq_idx = get_netdev_rx_queue_index(rxq);
>>> +
>>> + netdev_restart_rx_queue(binding->dev, rxq_idx);
>>
>> Blindly restarting a queue when a dmabuf is heavy handed. If the dmabuf
>> has no outstanding references (ie., no references in the RxQ), then no
>> restart is needed.
>>

> I think I need to stop the queue while binding to a dmabuf for the
> sake of concurrency, no? I.e. the softirq thread may be delivering a
> packet, and in parallel a separate thread holds rtnl_lock and tries to
> bind the dma-buf. At that point the page_pool recreation will race
> with the driver doing page_pool_alloc_page(). I don't think I can
> insert a lock to handle this into the rx fast path, no?

I think it depends on the details of how entries are added and removed
from the pool. I am behind on the pp details at this point, so I do need
to do some homework.

> Also, this sounds like it requires (lots of) more changes. The
> page_pool + driver need to report how many pending references there
> are (with locking so we don't race with incoming packets), and have
> them reported via an ndo so that we can skip restarting the queue.
> Implementing the changes in to a huge issue but handling the
> concurrency may be a genuine blocker. Not sure it's worth the upside
> of not restarting the single rx queue?

It has to do with the usability of this overall solution. As I mentioned
most ML use cases can (and will want to) use many memory allocations for
receiving packets - e.g., allocations per message and receiving multiple
messages per socket connection.

>>> + }
>>> + }
>>> +
>>> + xa_erase(&netdev_dmabuf_bindings, binding->id);
>>> +
>>> + netdev_dmabuf_binding_put(binding);
>>> +}
>>> +
>>> +int netdev_bind_dmabuf_to_queue(struct net_device *dev, u32 rxq_idx,
>>> + struct netdev_dmabuf_binding *binding)
>>> +{
>>> + struct netdev_rx_queue *rxq;
>>> + u32 xa_idx;
>>> + int err;
>>> +
>>> + rxq = __netif_get_rx_queue(dev, rxq_idx);
>>> +
>>> + if (rxq->binding)
>>> + return -EEXIST;
>>> +
>>> + err = xa_alloc(&binding->bound_rxq_list, &xa_idx, rxq, xa_limit_32b,
>>> + GFP_KERNEL);
>>> + if (err)
>>> + return err;
>>> +
>>> + /* We hold the rtnl_lock while binding/unbinding dma-buf, so we can't
>>> + * race with another thread that is also modifying this value. However,
>>> + * the driver may read this config while it's creating its * rx-queues.
>>> + * WRITE_ONCE() here to match the READ_ONCE() in the driver.
>>> + */
>>> + WRITE_ONCE(rxq->binding, binding);
>>> +
>>> + err = netdev_restart_rx_queue(dev, rxq_idx);
>>
>> Similarly, here binding a dmabuf to a queue. I was expecting the dmabuf
>> binding to add entries to the page pool for the queue.
>
> To be honest, I think maybe there's a slight disconnect between how
> you think the page_pool works, and my primitive understanding of how
> it works. Today, I see a 1:1 mapping between rx-queue and page_pool in
> the code. I don't see 1:many or many:1 mappings.

I am not referring to 1:N or N:1 for page pool and queues. I am
referring to entries within a single page pool for a single Rx queue.