Re: Requesting your attention and expertise regarding a Tablet/Kernel issue

From: Benjamin Tissoires
Date: Wed Nov 29 2023 - 10:32:55 EST

On Fri, Nov 24, 2023 at 6:18 PM Benjamin Tissoires
<benjamin.tissoires@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> On Thu, Nov 23, 2023 at 11:12 PM David Revoy <davidrevoy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Benjamin,
> >
> > Sorry for late reply.
> >
> > > So it would be nice if you could try the artifacts of job 51600738[4].
> > > Again, download them (udev-hid-bpf_0.1.0-4-g5ab02ec.tar.xz), unpack,
> > > sudo ./install --verbose, then unplug/replug the artist Pro 24.
> >
> > Ok, the main change I experienced after installing is xsetwacom
> > listing the ID name of the device with twice the name Stylus on
> > "UGTABLET 24 inch PenDisplay Stylus stylus". Before it was only
> > "UGTABLET 24 inch PenDisplay stylus".
> >
> > $ xsetwacom --list
> > UGTABLET 24 inch PenDisplay Stylus stylus id: 10 type: STYLUS
> >
> > Not a big deal, but I thought it was worth to mention it.
>
> Oh, this might be because I added a debug device. Given that there are
> 2 devices on the HID node, then one is tagged as Stylus by the kernel.
> Nothing to worry about.
>

> > > Then, I'll need the following sequence (ideally repeated twice or
> > > three times, given that your last record show a slight difference in
> > > the first and second attempt):
> > >
> > > - outside of the proximity of the sensor, press the upper button
> > > - approach the stylus to the surface keeping the upper button pressed
> > > - touch the surface with the tip while holding the upper button pressed
> > > - release the upper button while keeping the tip pressed (like previously)
> > > - press once again the upper button while keeping the tip touching the
> > > surface (like previously)
> > > - lift of the pen, keeping the upper button pressed, and still in
> > > range of the sensor
> > > - remove the pen from the proximity of the sensor entirely (move away
> > > 20 cm or so), while still keeping the upper button pressed
> > >
> > > It's actually longer to describe than to execute :)
> > >

> > Thank you for the detailed steps. True, it makes sens once
> > practising it. I made the gesture three time on:

> Thanks a lot. And of course this device doesn't react in the way I expected :)
>
> Transitions from/to the tip touching the surface while the second
> button is pressed are normal, there are no extra events...
>
> But this also showed that the previous filter was better when pressing
> the upper button while touching the tip on the surface, because now we
> get another spurious event that was filtered before (and because it
> was filtered, I thought it was not there).
>
> Anyway, I couldn't rewrite the filter today, but I'll work on it next
> week for sure.

I've updated the HID-BPF filter, and you can find it in the latest pipeline[0].
I've removed the extra "Stylus" and you should have a better
experience with the upper button now.

> > > But I would also totally understand that you had enough debugging and
> > > you would rather focus on using the tablets, instead of debugging
> > > them. In which case, someone else from the community might help me.
> >
> > No problem for continue testing, I'm around! Thank you again
> > for improving the behavior of the tablets.

I think we are done with the XP-Pen Pro 24. But now I wonder if the
Pro 16 (gen2) doesn't also have those glitches.

Could you send me the same debug sequence as the last time
(transitions from/to touching the surface while holding the upper
button) but on the 16 now?

There is a chance I'll need the same filter to remove the extra left
click that might appear when you press the upper button while touching
the surface.

Cheers,
Benjamin

[0] https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libevdev/udev-hid-bpf/-/jobs/52148274