Re: [GIT PULL] vfs fixes

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Nov 24 2023 - 13:52:23 EST

On Fri, 24 Nov 2023 at 10:25, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I just like how the patch looks:
>
> 6 files changed, 1 insertion(+), 368 deletions(-)
>
> and those 350+ deleted lines really looked disgusting to me.

Gaah. I guess it's the VM_IOREMAP case that is the cause of all this horridness.

So we'd have to know not to mess with IO mappings. Annoying.

But I think my patch could still act as a starting point, except that

case KCORE_VMALLOC:

would have to have some kind of "if this is not a regular vmalloc,
just skip it" logic.

So I guess we can't remove all those lines, but we *could* replace all
the vread_iter() code with a "bool can_I_vread_this()" instead. So the
fallback would still be to just do the bounce buffer copy.

Or something.

Oh well.

Linus