Re: Powered off Philips TV sends corrupt EDID causing flickering

From: Paul Menzel
Date: Thu Nov 23 2023 - 09:18:12 EST

Dear Jani,

Thank you for your reply.

Am 22.11.23 um 11:38 schrieb Jani Nikula:
On Tue, 21 Nov 2023, Paul Menzel wrote:

Connecting a USB Type-C port replicator [1] to the only USB Type-C port
of the Dell XPS 13 9360 with Debian sid/unstable and Debian’s Linux
kernel 6.10.5, and then connecting a Philips 40PFL5206H/12 TV device,
that is powered off or in standby, to the HDMI port, Linux logs:

[…]

Depending on how the port replicator works, this may not come from the
TV at all.

And all of this probably depends on GPU and driver, which are not
mentioned.

Sorry for just mentioning the laptop model. It uses the device below:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 620 [8086:5916] (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

If it's i915, please see [1] on how to file a bug.

Thank you for taking the time to tell me the proper forum. I created the two issues below:

1. EDID has corrupt header [2]
2. No image on Philips TV when turning on while connected over HDMI/USB-C port replicator (`[drm] *ERROR* Link Training Unsuccessful`) [3]

Kind regards,

Paul

[1] https://drm.pages.freedesktop.org/intel-docs/how-to-file-i915-bugs.html
[2]: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/intel/-/issues/9705