Re: [REGRESSION] Perf (userspace) broken on big.LITTLE systems since v6.5

From: Mark Rutland
Date: Wed Nov 22 2023 - 11:08:56 EST

On Wed, Nov 22, 2023 at 07:29:34AM -0800, Ian Rogers wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 22, 2023 at 5:04 AM Mark Rutland <mark.rutland@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > So the problem was caused by ARM and Intel doing two different things.
> > > Intel did at least contribute to the perf tool in support for their
> > > BIG.little/hybrid, so that's why the semantics match their approach.
> >
> > I appreciate that, and I agree that from the Arm side we haven't been as
> > engaged with userspace on this front (please understand I'm the messenger here,
> > this is something I've repeatedly asked for within Arm).
> >
> > Regardless, I don't think that changes the substance of the bug, which is that
> > we're converting named-pmu events into entirely different PERF_TYPE_HARDWARE
> > events.
> >
> > I agree that expanding plain legacy event names to a set of PMU-tagetted legacy
> > events makes sense (and even for Arm, that's the right thing to do, IMO). If
> > I ask for 'cycles' and that gets expanded to multiple legacy cycles events that
> > target specific CPU PMUs, that's good.
> >
> > The thing that doesn't make sense here is converting named-pmu events into
> > egacy events. If I ask for 'apple_firestorm_pmu/cycles/', that should be the
> > 'cycles' event in the apple_firestorm_pmu's event namespace, and *shouldn't* be
> > converted to a (potentially semantically different) PERF_TYPE_HARDWARE event,
> > even if that's targetted towards the apple_firestorm_pmu. I think that should
> > be true for *any* PMU, whether thats an arm/x86/whatever CPU PMU or a system
> > PMU.
>
> This is saying that legacy events are lower than system events. We
> don't do this historically and as it requires extra PMU set up. On an
> Intel Tigerlake:
>
> ```
> $ ls /sys/devices/cpu/events
> branch-instructions cache-misses instructions ref-cycles
> topdown-be-bound
> branch-misses cache-references mem-loads slots
> topdown-fe-bound
> bus-cycles cpu-cycles mem-stores topdown-bad-spec
> topdown-retiring
> ```
> here (at least) branch-misses, bus-cycles, cache-references,
> cpu-cycles and instructions overlap with legacy event names
> ```
> $ perf --version
> perf version 6.5.6
> $ perf stat -vv -e branch-misses,bus-cycles,cache-references,cp
> u-cycles,instructions true

Here you *aren't using a named PMU. As I said before, using the
PERF_TYPE_HARDWARE events in this case is entriely fine, it's just the
${pmu}/${eventname}/ case that I'm saying should use the PMU's namespace,
which was historically the case, and is what users are depending upon.

i.e.

perf stat -e cycles ./workload

... can/should use PERF_TYPE_HARDWARE events, as it used to

However:

perf srtat -e ${pmu}/cycles/ ./workload

... should use the PMU's namespaced events, as it used to

> Using CPUID GenuineIntel-6-8D-1
> intel_pt default config: tsc,mtc,mtc_period=3,psb_period=3,pt,branch
> Control descriptor is not initialized
> perf_event_attr:
> type 0 (PERF_TYPE_HARDWARE)
> size 136
> config 0x5 (PERF_COUNT_HW_BRANCH_MISSES)
> perf_event_attr:
> type 0 (PERF_TYPE_HARDWARE)
> size 136
> config 0x6 (PERF_COUNT_HW_BUS_CYCLES)
> perf_event_attr:
> type 0 (PERF_TYPE_HARDWARE)
> size 136
> config 0x2 (PERF_COUNT_HW_CACHE_REFERENCES)
> perf_event_attr:
> type 0 (PERF_TYPE_HARDWARE)
> size 136
> config 0 (PERF_COUNT_HW_CPU_CYCLES)
> perf_event_attr:
> type 0 (PERF_TYPE_HARDWARE)
> size 136
> config 0x1 (PERF_COUNT_HW_INSTRUCTIONS)
> branch-misses: -1: 6571 826226 826226
> bus-cycles: -1: 31411 826226 826226
> cache-references: -1: 19507 826226 826226
> cpu-cycles: -1: 1127215 826226 826226
> instructions: -1: 1301583 826226 826226
> branch-misses: 6571 826226 826226
> bus-cycles: 31411 826226 826226
> cache-references: 19507 826226 826226
> cpu-cycles: 1127215 826226 826226
> instructions: 1301583 826226 826226
>
> Performance counter stats for 'true':
> ```
> ie perf 6.5 and all events even though sysfs has events we're opening
> them with PERF_TYPE_HARDWARE.

As above, this is a different case.

> > Yes. That's how this has always worked prior to the changes Marc referenced.
> > Note that this can *also* be expaned to events from json databases, but was
> > *never* previously silently converted to a PERF_TYPE_HARDWARE event.
> >
> > Please note that the events in sysfs are *namespaced* to the PMU (specifically,
> > when using that PMU's dynamic type); they are not necessarily the same as
> > legacy events (though they may have similar or matching
> > names in some cases), they may be semantically distinct from the legacy events
> > even if the names match, and it is incorrect to conflate the two.
>
> This was a behavior added by Intel so that say cpu_atom/legacy-event/
> would only open as a hardware event on that PMU. The point of the
> blamed change is to make that behavior consistent for all core PMUs.

Ok, so Intel has an intel-specific behaviour change, which was ok for them.

That was made generic, but cause d a functional regression on arm (and possibly
other architectures if anyone else cares about the namespaced events).

Why can't this be rteturned to being x86 specific?

> > > On ARM but not Intel.
> >
> > As above, I don't think the CPU architecture matters here for the case that I'm
> > saying is broken. I think that regardless of CPU architecture (or for any
> > non-CPU PMU) it is semantically incorrect to convert a named-pmu event to a
> > legacy event.
>
> So perf's behavior has always been that legacy event priority is
> greater-than sysfs and json. The distinction here is that a core PMU
> is explicitly listed and it doesn't seem unreasonable to use core PMU
> names with legacy events, the behavior Intel added.

That may be ok for Intel, but given it *is* causing functional probelsm for
others, why must it remain generic?

> > > So I'd like to fix this, some things from various conversations:
> > >
> > > 1) we lack testing. Our testing relies on the sysfs of the machine
> > > being run on, which is better than nothing. I think ideally we'd have
> > > a collection of zipped up sysfs directories and then we could have a
> > > test that asserts on ARM you get the behavior you want.
> >
> > I agree we lack testing, and I'd be happy to help here going forwards, though I
> > don't think this is a prerequisite for fixing this issue.
> >
> > > 2) for RISC-V they want to make the legacy event matching something in
> > > user land to simplify the PMU driver.
> >
> > Ok; I see how this might be related, but it doesn't sound like a prerequisite
> > for fixing this issue -- there are plenty of people in this thread who can
> > test.
> >
> > > 3) I'd like to get rid of the PMU json interface. My idea is to
> > > convert json events/metrics into sysfs style files, zip these up and
> > > then link them into the perf binary. On Intel the json is 70% of the
> > > binary (7MB out of 10MB) and we may get this down to 3MB with this
> > > approach. The json lookup would need to incorporate the cpuid matching
> > > that currently exists. When we look up an event I'd like the approach
> > > to be like unionfs with a specified but configurable order. Users
> > > could provide directories of their own events/metrics for various
> > > PMUs, and then this approach could be used to help with (1).
> >
> > I can see how that might interact with whatever changes we make to fix this
> > issue, but this seems like a future aspiration, and not a prerequisite for
> > fixing the existing functional regression.
> >
> > > Those proposals are not something to add as a -rc fix, so what I think
> > > you're asking for here is a "if ARM" fix somewhere in the event
> > > parsing. That's of course possible but it will cause problems if you
> > > did say:
> > >
> > > perf stat -e arm_pmu/LLC-load-misses/ ...
> >
> > As above, I do not think this is an arm-specific issue, we're just the canary
> > in the coalmine.
>
> Disagree, see comments above. A behavior change here would impact Intel.

Ok, so have Intel keep the Intel behaviour?

> > Please note that:
> >
> > perf stat -e arm_pmu/LLC-load-misses/ ...
> >
> > ... would never have worked previously. No arm_pmu instances have a
> > "LLC-load-misses" event in their event namespaces, and we don't have any
> > userspace file mapping that event.
>
> This event was for the purpose of giving an example, perf list will
> show you events that work. The point is that a legacy event may not be
> available on both BIG.little PMU types so being able to designate the
> PMU there is helpful.

Sure, but (as per my reply to Arnaldo), it's possible to add an unambiguous way
to specify that, e.g a 'hw:' prefix like:

some_arm_pmu/hw:LLC-load-misses/

... which wouldn't clash and cause hte regression that users are seing.

> > That said, If I really wanted that legacy event, I'd have asked for it bare,
> > e.g.
> >
> > perf stat -e LLC-load-misses
> >
> > ... and we're in agreement that it's sensible to expand this to multiple
> > PERF_TYPE_HARDWARE events targeting the individual CPU PMUs.
> >
> > So I see no need to do anything to have magic for 'arm_pmu/LLC-load-misses/'.
> >
> > > as I doubt the PMU driver is advertising this legacy event in sysfs
> > > and the "if ARM" logic would presumably be trying to disable legacy
> > > events in the term list for the ARM PMU.
> > >
> > > Given all of this, is anything actually broken and needing a fix for 6.7?
> >
> > There is absolutely a bug that needs to be fixed here (and needs to be
> > backported to stable so that it gets picked up by distributions).
>
> I'm not seeing this. The behavior is consistent with Intel, this has
> gone 2 releases without being spotted,

This has gone two releases because people has just updated their tools. The
prior behaviour for Arm has been there for most of a decade.

> it was triggered by a PMU event
> name aliasing a legacy event name and the behavior has always been
> legacy event names have higher priority than sysfs and json events.

That has been the case for plain events without a PMU name. That was never the
case for events with a PMU name, or there would not have been any difference in
behaviour.

> Whilst I'm seeing a lot of complaining, I've not seen a proposal of
> what behavior you want.

As per my initial reply the bevaiour we want is that:

pmu/eventname/

... opens 'eventname' in that PMU's event namespace, rather than converting the
event into a PERF_TYPE_HARDWARE event. That was the prior behaviour, which
people have been using for most of a decade.

I understand that there was some Intel-specific behaviour, and that may need to
be kept for Intel. Making that behaviour generic broke other existing users.

If we need a mechanism to target a legacy event to a specific PMU, we can add
an unambiguous way of descirbing that (e.g. the 'hw:' prefix I've suggested a
few times).

> Isn't it a PMU bug if the legacy event specifying the PMU doesn't get opened
> by the core PMU?

No?

Prior to that mechanism being added to the kernel, there was no way to do that.

When the mechanism was added to x86 specifically, it wasn't a generic feature.

> Fixing the PMU driver appears to be the right fix and means there is
> consistency on core events across architectures.

I think that's orthogonal.

Adding support to the PMU drivers (which has already been done, per the commit
you quoted before) is good so that userspace can do the right thing for:

perf stat -e some_generic_event ./workload

... but that should not be necessary to retain the existing behaviour for:

perf stat -e pmu/some_similarly_named_event/ ./workload

Thanks,
Mark.