Re: [PULL REQUEST] i2c-for-6.7-rc2

From: Will Deacon
Date: Mon Nov 20 2023 - 10:05:25 EST

On Sat, Nov 18, 2023 at 09:56:59AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Nov 2023 at 16:05, Wolfram Sang <wsa@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Jan Bottorff (1):
> > i2c: designware: Fix corrupted memory seen in the ISR
>
> I have pulled this, but honestly, looking at the patch, I really get
> the feeling that there's some deeper problem going on.
>
> Either the designware driver doesn't do the right locking, or the
> relaxed IO accesses improperly are escaping the locks that do exist.
>
> Either way, just changing "writel_relaxed()" to "writel()" seems to be wrong.
>
> Of course, it is entirely possible that those accesses should never
> have been relaxed in the first place, and that the actual access
> ordering between two accesses in the same thread matters. For example,
> the code did
>
> *val = readw_relaxed(dev->base + reg) |
> (readw_relaxed(dev->base + reg + 2) << 16);
>
> and if the order of those two readw's mattered, then the "relaxed" was
> always entirely wrong.
>
> But the commit message seems to very much imply a multi-thread issue,
> and for *that* issue, doing "writel_relaxed" -> "writel" is very much
> wrong. The only thing fixing threading issues is proper locks (or
> _working_ locks).
>
> Removing the "relaxed" may *hide* the issue, but doesn't really fix it.
>
> For the arm64 people I brought in: this is now commit f726eaa787e9
> ("i2c: designware: Fix corrupted memory seen in the ISR") upstream.
> I've done the pull, because even if this is purely a "hide the
> problem" fix, it's better than what the code did. I'm just asking that
> people look at this a bit more.

Thanks for putting me on CC. The original issue was discussed quite a bit
over at:

https://lore.kernel.org/all/20230913232938.420423-1-janb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

and I think the high-level problem was something like:

1. CPU x writes some stuff to memory (I think one example was i2c_dw_xfer()
setting 'dev->msg_read_idx' to 0)
2. CPU x writes to an I/O register on this I2C controller which generates
an IRQ (end of i2c_dw_xfer_init())
3. CPU y takes the IRQ
4. CPU y reads 'dev->msg_read_idx' and doesn't see the write from (1)

(i2c folks: please chime in if I got this wrong)

the issue being that the writes in (1) are not ordered before the I/O
access in (2) if the relaxed accessor is used. Rather than upgrade only
the register writes which can trigger an interrupt, the more conservative
approach of upgrading everything to non-relaxed I/O accesses was taken
(which is probably necessary to deal with spurious IRQs properly anyway
because otherwise 'dev->msg_read_idx' could be read early in step (4)).

Your point about locking is interesting. I don't see any obvious locks
being taken in i2c_dw_isr(), so I don't think the issue is because relaxed
accesses are escaping existing locks. An alternative would be putting
steps (1) and (2) in a critical section and then taking the lock again
in the interrupt handler. Or did you have something else in mind?

Will