[BUG]Bluetooth: possible semantic bug when HCI_Command_Status event triggered without prior HCI_Inquiry command

From: Si-Jie Bai
Date: Wed Nov 15 2023 - 03:19:25 EST

Hello,

Our fuzzing tool finds a possible semantic bug in the Bluetooth system in Linux 6.2:

According to the core specification v5.4, the HCI_Inquiry command triggers the BR/EDR Controller to enter Inquiry Mode, a process used for discovering nearby BR/EDR Controllers. Furthermore, it is specified that an HCI_Command_Status event should be sent to the Host when the BR/EDR Controller has started the Inquiry process.

In our testing, if a related HCI_Command_Status event is sent by the controller without a preceding HCI_Inquiry command from the host, this could lead to a failure in establishing Bluetooth connections.

Through our examination and debugging of the Linux 6.2 source code, we have identified the underlying cause of the observed phenomenon:

(1.1) When the HCI_Command_Status event related to the HCI_Inquiry command is received, the function hci_cs_inquiry (/net/bluetooth/hci_event.c:2289) is called.

(1.2) This leads to the execution of set_bit(HCI_INQUIRY, &hdev->flags); (/net/bluetooth/hci_event.c:2298).

(2.1) Upon initiating an ACL connection for the first time, the function hci_acl_create_connection (/net/bluetooth/hci_conn.c:212) is called.

(2.2) The result of test_bit(HCI_INQUIRY, &hdev->flags) (/net/bluetooth/hci_conn.c:228) being true causes the connection's state to change to BT_CONNECT2, and the HCI_Inquiry_Cancel command is sent.

(3.1) When the HCI_Command_Complete event related to the HCI_Inquiry_Cancel command is received, the function hci_cc_inquiry_cancel (/net/bluetooth/hci_event.c:84) is called.

(3.2) The Status field of the HCI_Command_Complete event being 0x0c results in the execution of return rp->status; (/net/bluetooth/hci_event.c:104).

(4.1) A timeout triggers hci_conn_timeout (/net/bluetooth/hci_conn.c:638), which in turn calls hci_abort_conn (/net/bluetooth/hci_conn.c:2771).

(4.2) This leads to the execution of case BT_CONNECT2: (/net/bluetooth/hci_conn.c:2771), where the HCI_Reject_Connection_Request command is sent.

We are not sure whether this is a semantic bug or implementation feature in the Linux kernel. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

Best wishes,
Sijie Bai