Re: [RFC 0/4] Introduce unbalance proactive reclaim

From: Huang, Ying
Date: Wed Nov 15 2023 - 01:54:38 EST

Huan Yang <link@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> 在 2023/11/13 16:05, Huang, Ying 写道:
>> Huan Yang <link@xxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>>> 在 2023/11/13 14:10, Huang, Ying 写道:

>>> Yes, but this part is done very well in MGLRU and does not require our
>>> intervention.
>>> Moreover, the reclaim speed of clean files is very fast, but compared to it,
>>> the reclaim speed of anonymous pages is a bit slower.
>>> Yes, this approach is not universal.
>>> Yes, it is not good to reclaim shared anonymous pages, and it needs to be
>>> identified. In the future, we will consider how to filter them.
>>> Thanks.
>>> As mentioned above, the default reclaim algorithm is suitable for recycling
>>> file pages, but we do not need to intervene in it.
>>> Direct reclaim or kswapd of these use-once file pages is very fast and will
>>> not cause lag or other effects.
>>> Our overall goal is to actively and reasonably compress unused anonymous
>>> pages based on certain strategies, in order to increase available memory to
>>> a certain extent, avoid lag, and prevent applications from being killed.
>>> Therefore, using the proactive reclaim interface, combined with LRU
>>> algorithm
>>> and reclaim tendencies, is a good way to achieve our goal.
>> If so, why can't you just use the proactive reclaim with some large
>> enough swappiness? That will reclaim use-once page caches and compress
> This works very well for proactive memory reclaim that is only
> executed once.
> However, considering that we need to perform proactive reclaim in batches,
> suppose that only 5% of the use-once page cache in this memcg can be
> reclaimed,
> but we need to call proactive memory reclaim step by step, such as 5%,
> 10%, 15% ... 100%.
> Then, the page cache may be reclaimed due to the balancing adjustment
> of reclamation,
> even if the 5% of use-once pages are reclaimed. We may still touch on
> shared file pages.
> (If I misunderstood anything, please correct me.)

If the proactive reclaim amount is less than the size of anonymous
pages, I think that you are safe. For example, if the size of anonymous
pages is 100MB, the size of use-once file pages is 10MB, the size of
shared file pages is 20MB. Then if you reclaim 100MB proactively with
swappiness=200, you will reclaim 10MB use-once file pages and 90MB
anonymous pages. In the next time, if you reclaim 10MB proactively, you
will still not reclaim shared file pages.

> We previously used the two values of modifying swappiness to 200 and 0
> to adjust reclaim
> tendencies. However, the debug interface showed that some file pages
> were reclaimed,
> and after being actively reclaimed, some applications and the reopened
> applications that were
> reclaimed had some block IO and startup lag.

If so, please research why use-once file page heuristics not work and
try to fix it or raise the issue.

--
Best Regards,
Huang, Ying