Re: sr-iov related bonding regression (two regressions in one report)

From: Linux regression tracking (Thorsten Leemhuis)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2023 - 00:50:41 EST

On 15.11.23 01:54, Jay Vosburgh wrote:
> Bagas Sanjaya <bagasdotme@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I come across LACP bonding regression on Bugzilla [1].

Side note: Stephen forwards some (all?) network regressions to the right
people:
https://lore.kernel.org/all/20231113083746.5e02f8b0@hermes.local/

Would be best to check for that, no need to forward things twice, that
just results in a mess.

>> The reporter
>> (Cc'ed) has two regressions. The first is actual LACP bonding
>> regression (but terse):
>>
>>> Till linkx kernel 6.5.7 it is working fine, but after upgrading to 6.6.1 ping stop working with LACP bonding.
>>> When we disable SR-IOV from bios , everything working fine

Makes me wonder if things have been working with or without the OOT
module on 6.5.7, as strictly speaking it's only considered a kernel
regression if thing worked with a vanilla kernel (e.g. without OOT
modules) beforehand and broke when switching to a newer vanilla kernel.
If that's the case it would be okay to add to regzbot.

>> And the second is out-of-tree module FTBFS:
> [... skip OOT stuff ...]
>
>> Should I add the first regression to regzbot (since the second one
>> is obviously out-of-tree problem), or should I asked detailed regression
>> info to the reporter?
>
> My vote is to get additional information. Given the nature of
> the workaround ("When we disable SR-IOV from bios , everything working
> fine"), it's plausible that the underlying cause is something
> platform-specific.

Maybe, but when it comes to the "no regressions" rule that likely makes
no difference from Linus perspective.

But I guess unless the intel folks or someone else has an idea what
might be wrong here we likely need a bisection (with vanilla kernels of
course) to get anywhere.

Everything you wanna know about Linux kernel regression tracking:
https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/about/#tldr
If I did something stupid, please tell me, as explained on that page.