Re: [GIT PULL v2] Networking for 6.7

From: Linux regression tracking #adding (Thorsten Leemhuis)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2023 - 08:30:46 EST

[TLDR: This mail in primarily relevant for Linux kernel regression
tracking. See link in footer if these mails annoy you.]

On 09.11.23 16:49, Kirill A. Shutemov wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 31, 2023 at 02:09:48PM -0700, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
>> bpf: Add support for non-fix-size percpu mem allocation
>
> Recent changes in BPF increased per-CPU memory consumption a lot.
>
> On virtual machine with 288 CPUs, per-CPU consumtion increased from 111 MB
> to 969 MB, or 8.7x.
>
> I've bisected it to the commit 41a5db8d8161 ("bpf: Add support for
> non-fix-size percpu mem allocation"), which part of the pull request.

Thanks for the report. To be sure the issue doesn't fall through the
cracks unnoticed, I'm adding it to regzbot, the Linux kernel regression
tracking bot:

#regzbot ^introduced 41a5db8d8161
#regzbot title bpf: recent changes in BPF increased per-CPU memory
consumption a lot.
#regzbot monitor:
https://lore.kernel.org/all/20231110172050.2235758-1-yonghong.song@xxxxxxxxx/
#regzbot fix: bpf: Do not allocate percpu memory at init stage
#regzbot ignore-activity

Everything you wanna know about Linux kernel regression tracking:
https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/about/#tldr
That page also explains what to do if mails like this annoy you.