Re: [Question]: major faults are still triggered after mlockall when numa balancing

From: Yin, Fengwei
Date: Thu Nov 09 2023 - 20:57:31 EST

On 11/10/2023 6:54 AM, Yang Shi wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 9, 2023 at 5:48 AM zhangpeng (AS) <zhangpeng362@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> There is a performance issue that has been bothering us recently.
>> This problem can reproduce in the latest mainline version (Linux 6.6).
>>
>> We use mlockall(MCL_CURRENT | MCL_FUTURE) in the user mode process
>> to avoid performance problems caused by major fault.
>>
>> There is a stage in numa fault which will set pte as 0 in do_numa_page() :
>> ptep_modify_prot_start() will clear the vmf->pte, until
>> ptep_modify_prot_commit() assign a value to the vmf->pte.
>>
>> For the data segment of the user-mode program, the global variable area
>> is a private mapping. After the pagecache is loaded, the private
>> anonymous page is generated after the COW is triggered. Mlockall can
>> lock COW pages (anonymous pages), but the original file pages cannot
>> be locked and may be reclaimed. If the global variable (private anon page)
>> is accessed when vmf->pte is zero which is concurrently set by numa fault,
>> a file page fault will be triggered.
>>
>> At this time, the original private file page may have been reclaimed.
>> If the page cache is not available at this time, a major fault will be
>> triggered and the file will be read, causing additional overhead.
>>
>> Our problem scenario is as follows:
>>
>> task 1 task 2
>> ------ ------
>> /* scan global variables */
>> do_numa_page()
>> spin_lock(vmf->ptl)
>> ptep_modify_prot_start()
>> /* set vmf->pte as null */
>> /* Access global variables */
>> handle_pte_fault()
>> /* no pte lock */
>> do_pte_missing()
>> do_fault()
>> do_read_fault()
>> ptep_modify_prot_commit()
>> /* ptep update done */
>> pte_unmap_unlock(vmf->pte, vmf->ptl)
>> do_fault_around()
>> __do_fault()
>> filemap_fault()
>> /* page cache is not available
>> and a major fault is triggered */
>> do_sync_mmap_readahead()
>> /* page_not_uptodate and goto
>> out_retry. */
>>
>> Is there any way to avoid such a major fault?
>
> IMHO I don't think it is a bug. The man page quoted by Willy says "All
> mapped pages are guaranteed to be resident in RAM when the call
> returns successfully", but the later COW already made the file page
> unmapped, right? The PTE pointed to the COW'ed anon page.
> Hypothetically if we kept the file page mlocked and unmapped,
> munlock() would have not munlocked the file page at all, it would be
> mlocked in memory forever.
But in this case, even the COW page is mlocked. There is small window
that PTE is set to null in do_numa_page(). data segment access (it's to
COW page which has nothing to do with original page cache) happens in
this small window will trigger filemap_fault() to fault in original
page cache.

I had thought to do double check whether vmf->pte is NULL in do_read_fault().
But it's not reliable enough.

Matthew's idea to use protnone to block both hardware accessing and
do_pte_missing() looks more promising to me.

Regards
Yin, Fengwei