Re: [RFC 0/4] Introduce unbalance proactive reclaim

From: Huang, Ying
Date: Thu Nov 09 2023 - 20:24:42 EST

Huan Yang <link@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> 在 2023/11/9 18:39, Michal Hocko 写道:
>> [Some people who received this message don't often get email from mhocko@xxxxxxxx. Learn why this is important at https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification ]
>>
>> On Thu 09-11-23 18:29:03, Huan Yang wrote:
>>> HI Michal Hocko,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your suggestion.
>>>
>>> 在 2023/11/9 17:57, Michal Hocko 写道:

>>> Madvise may not be applicable in this scenario.(IMO)
>>>
>>> This feature is aimed at a core goal, which is to compress the anonymous
>>> pages
>>> of frozen applications.
>>>
>>> How to detect that an application is frozen and determine which pages can be
>>> safely reclaimed is the responsibility of the policy part.
>>>
>>> Setting madvise for an application is an active behavior, while the above
>>> policy
>>> is a passive approach.(If I misunderstood, please let me know if there is a
>>> better
>>> way to set madvise.)
>> You are proposing an extension to the pro-active reclaim interface so
>> this is an active behavior pretty much by definition. So I am really not
>> following you here. Your agent can simply scan the address space of the
>> application it is going to "freeze" and call pidfd_madvise(MADV_PAGEOUT)
>> on the private memory is that is really what you want/need.
> There is a key point here. We want to use the grouping policy of memcg
> to perform
> proactive reclamation with certain tendencies. Your suggestion is to
> reclaim memory
> by scanning the task process space. However, in the mobile field,
> memory is usually
> viewed at the granularity of an APP.
>
> Therefore, after an APP is frozen, we hope to reclaim memory uniformly
> according
> to the pre-grouped APP processes.
>
> Of course, as you suggested, madvise can also achieve this, but
> implementing it in
> the agent may be more complex.(In terms of achieving the same goal,
> using memcg
> to group all the processes of an APP and perform proactive reclamation
> is simpler
> than using madvise and scanning multiple processes of an application
> using an agent?)

I still think that it's not too complex to use process_madvise() to do
this. For each process of the application, the agent can read
/proc/PID/maps to get all anonymous address ranges, then call
process_madvise(MADV_PAGEOUT) to reclaim pages. This can even filter
out shared anonymous pages. Does this work for you?

--
Best Regards,
Huang, Ying