KVM: x86/vPMU/AMD: Can we detect PMU is off for a VM?

From: Konstantin Khorenko
Date: Thu Nov 09 2023 - 13:18:32 EST

Hi All,

as a followup for my patch: i have noticed that
currently Intel kernel code provides an ability to detect if PMU is totally disabled for a VM
(pmu->version == 0 in this case), but for AMD code pmu->version is never 0,
no matter if PMU is enabled or disabled for a VM (i mean <pmu state='off'/> in the VM config which results in "-cpu pmu=off" qemu option).

So the question is - is it possible to enhance the code for AMD to also honor PMU VM setting or it is impossible by design?

i can try implementing this, but need a direction.

Thank you in advance.

--
Best regards,

Konstantin Khorenko,