Re: [RFC 0/4] Introduce unbalance proactive reclaim

From: Huan Yang
Date: Thu Nov 09 2023 - 05:29:20 EST

HI Michal Hocko,

Thanks for your suggestion.

在 2023/11/9 17:57, Michal Hocko 写道:
[Some people who received this message don't often get email from mhocko@xxxxxxxx. Learn why this is important at https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification ]

On Thu 09-11-23 11:38:56, Huan Yang wrote:
[...]
If so, is it better only to reclaim private anonymous pages explicitly?
Yes, in practice, we only proactively compress anonymous pages and do not
want to touch file pages.
If that is the case and this is mostly application centric (which you
seem to be suggesting) then why don't you use madvise(MADV_PAGEOUT)
instead.
Madvise  may not be applicable in this scenario.(IMO)

This feature is aimed at a core goal, which is to compress the anonymous pages
of frozen applications.

How to detect that an application is frozen and determine which pages can be
safely reclaimed is the responsibility of the policy part.

Setting madvise for an application is an active behavior, while the above policy
is a passive approach.(If I misunderstood, please let me know if there is a better
way to set madvise.)
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs