Re: [alobakin:pfcp 11/19] include/linux/bitmap.h:642:17: warning: array subscript [1, 1024] is outside array bounds of 'long unsigned int[1]'

From: Alexander Lobakin
Date: Wed Nov 08 2023 - 07:29:04 EST

From: Yury Norov <yury.norov@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 11:24:49 -0800

> On Tue, Nov 07, 2023 at 07:52:19PM +0100, Alexander Lobakin wrote:
>> From: Yury Norov <yury.norov@xxxxxxxxx>
>> Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 10:32:06 -0800

>>> What's wrong with OPTIMIZER_HIDE_VAR()? The problem is clearly on GCC
>>> side, namely - it doesn't realize that the map[index+1] fetch is
>>> conditional.
>>
>> It's totally fine for me to use it, this one is just an alternative
>> (well, a bit broken as per below).
>
> OK, guys, that's even worse. The 12 and 13 don't fire the warning
> because Warray-bounds is explicitly disabled for gcc-11+. Check
> 0da6e5fd6c372 ("gcc: disable '-Warray-bounds' for gcc-13 too"). I'll
> test how gcc-10 builds it, and if it's broken too, it's worth to shift
> the threshold in init/Kconfig.

OPTIMIZER_HIDE_VAR() silences GCC 11 on my side (`-Warray-bounds` is
enabled via KCFLAGS), but now I'm wondering if it could possibly hide
really incorrect cases like you mentioned before (reading 8 bits
starting at 60 from a 64-bit bitmap).

> Let me check it later today.
>
> [...]
>
>> Oh you're right, I didn't think about this. Your approach seems optimal
>> unless hardening folks have anything else.
>>
>> I don't see bitmap_{read,write}() mini-series applied anywhere in your
>
> I'll not take the code unless there are real kernel users for it. Your
> compressor is still under development AFAIK, so I'm going to pull
> bitmap_read/write with ip_tunnel series, if it comes first.
>
>> tree, maybe Alex could incorporate your patch into it and resubmit?
>
> Yes, that's what I asked him to do. But let's put it on hold while I'm
> testing different compilers.

So now I feel like it's a matter of extending the Kconfig threshold like
you said. The code is clearly valid.

Alternatively, we could trigger a build bug manually when offset, width
and map size are compile-time constants and suppress it otherwise. But
sounds pretty hacky.

> Thanks,
> Yury

Thanks,