Re: [Patch 1/2] KVM: x86/pmu: Add Intel CPUID-hinted TopDown slots event

From: Liang, Kan
Date: Fri Nov 03 2023 - 11:13:10 EST

On 2023-11-02 1:45 p.m., Jim Mattson wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 1, 2023 at 7:07 PM Mi, Dapeng <dapeng1.mi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> The user can program any events on the GP counter. The perf doesn't
>>> limit it. For the unsupported event, 0 should be returned. Please keep
>>> in mind, the event list keeps updating. If the kernel checks for each
>>> event, it could be a disaster. I don't think it's a flaw.
>>

>> Thanks Kan, it would be ok as long as 0 is always returned for
>> unsupported events. IMO, it's a nice to have feature that KVM does this
>> sanity check for supported arch events, it won't break anything.
>
> The hardware PMU most assuredly does not return 0 for unsupported events.
>
> For example, if I use host perf to sample event selector 0xa4 unit
> mask 1 on a Broadwell host (406f1), I get...

I think we have different understanding about the meaning of the
"unsupported". There is no enumeration of the Architectural Topdown
Slots, which only means the Topdown Slots/01a4 is not an architectural
event on the platform. It doesn't mean that the event encoding is
unsupported. It could be used by another event, especially on the
previous platform.

Except for the architectural events, the event encoding of model
specific event is not guaranteed to be the same among different
generations. On BDW, the 01a4 is a model specific event with other
meanings. That's why you can observe some values.

Please make sure to only test the event on an enumerated platform.

Thanks,
Kan