Re: [Patch 1/2] KVM: x86/pmu: Add Intel CPUID-hinted TopDown slots event

From: Jim Mattson
Date: Thu Nov 02 2023 - 13:46:16 EST

On Wed, Nov 1, 2023 at 7:07 PM Mi, Dapeng <dapeng1.mi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 11/1/2023 9:33 PM, Liang, Kan wrote:

> >> Yeah, I agree. But I'm not sure if this is a flaw on PMU driver. If an
> >> event is not supported by the hardware, we can't predict the PMU's
> >> behavior and a meaningless count may be returned and this could mislead
> >> the user.
> > The user can program any events on the GP counter. The perf doesn't
> > limit it. For the unsupported event, 0 should be returned. Please keep
> > in mind, the event list keeps updating. If the kernel checks for each
> > event, it could be a disaster. I don't think it's a flaw.
>

> Thanks Kan, it would be ok as long as 0 is always returned for
> unsupported events. IMO, it's a nice to have feature that KVM does this
> sanity check for supported arch events, it won't break anything.

The hardware PMU most assuredly does not return 0 for unsupported events.

For example, if I use host perf to sample event selector 0xa4 unit
mask 1 on a Broadwell host (406f1), I get...

# perf stat -e r01a4 sleep 10

Performance counter stats for 'sleep 10':

386,964 r01a4

10.000907211 seconds time elapsed

Broadwell does not advertise support for architectural event 7 in
CPUID.0AH:EBX, so KVM will refuse to measure this event inside a
guest. That seems broken to me.