Re: mainline build failure due to 9c66dc94b62a ("bpf: Introduce css_task open-coded iterator kfuncs")

From: Sudip Mukherjee
Date: Thu Nov 02 2023 - 12:05:35 EST

Hi Thorsten,

On Thu, 2 Nov 2023 at 09:13, Linux regression tracking (Thorsten
Leemhuis) <regressions@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 02.11.23 09:53, Chuyi Zhou wrote:
> > 在 2023/11/2 16:50, Sudip Mukherjee (Codethink) 写道:
>
> >> The latest mainline kernel branch fails to build mips
> >> decstation_64_defconfig,
> >> decstation_defconfig and decstation_r4k_defconfig with the error:
> >>
> >> kernel/bpf/task_iter.c: In function 'bpf_iter_css_task_new':
> >> kernel/bpf/task_iter.c:917:14: error: 'CSS_TASK_ITER_PROCS' undeclared
> >> (first use in this function)
> >> 917 | case CSS_TASK_ITER_PROCS | CSS_TASK_ITER_THREADED:
> > [...]
> >> git bisect pointed to 9c66dc94b62a ("bpf: Introduce css_task
> >> open-coded iterator kfuncs")
> >
> > Thanks for the report! This issue has been solved by Jiri.[1]
> >
> > [1]:https://lore.kernel.org/all/169890482505.9002.10852784674164703819.git-patchwork-notify@xxxxxxxxxx/
>
> Thx, I was just about to reply something similar. :-D
>
> Sudip, maybe you know about this already, but in case you don't, here is
> a quick tip that might be useful for you: in cases like this it's often
> wise to search for earlier reports on lore using an even more
> abbreviated commit-id followed by a wildcard (e.g. "9c66dc94*"). That at
> least was how I found the fix quickly.

Yes, but the failure is still in the mainline. And it has happened in
the past that the fix has been submitted and taken by the maintainer
but was not sent to Linus.
In the last release cycle I had to send a reminder around the time of
-rc3 and in that case also the fix was submitted when I sent the build
failure mail.

But like you said I will search and will not add Cc to rezbot in
cases where a fix has been submitted. Also if Linus wants then I will
not even send mails in these cases.

--
Regards
Sudip