Re: [RFC] mm/kasan: Add Allocation, Free, Error timestamps to KASAN report

From: Andrey Konovalov
Date: Thu Nov 02 2023 - 10:59:00 EST

On Tue, Oct 31, 2023 at 10:46 AM Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Do you think it is worth using the extra bytes to record more
> > information? If this is a user-configurable feature.
>
> If it's user-configurable, then it is OK.

FWIW, Generic KASAN already stores the auxiliary stack handles in the
redzone, so the size of the redzone header is 24 bytes. Perhaps, we
should hide them under a config as well.

However, the increase of the redzone header size will only affect
small kmalloc allocations (<= 16 bytes, as kmalloc allocations are
aligned to the size of the object and the redzone is thus as big as
the object anyway) and small non-kmalloc slab allocations (<= 64
bytes, for which optimal_redzone returns 16). So I don't think adding
new fields to the redzone will increase the memory usage by much. But
this needs to be tested to make sure.