Re: Is strncpy really less secure than strscpy ?

From: Justin Stitt
Date: Thu Oct 19 2023 - 13:09:47 EST

On Wed, Oct 18, 2023 at 7:56 PM Kees Cook <keescook@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 18, 2023 at 07:27:20PM -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> >

> > On 10/18/23 18:49, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
> > > [Disclaimer: I have little to no knowledge of C, so things may be wrong.
> > > Please correct me if it is the case. Also Cc: recent people who work on
> > > strscpy() conversion.]
>
> Here are the current docs on the deprecated use of strncpy:
> https://docs.kernel.org/process/deprecated.html#strncpy-on-nul-terminated-strings
> which could probably be improved.
>
> > Also Cc: the STRING maintainers.

> Very. :)

> > > Well, assuming that the string is NUL-terminated, the end result should
> > > be the same.
>
> Note the use of "If" in the above sentences. :) This is what makes
> strncpy so dangerous -- it's only "correct" if the length argument is
> less than the size of the _source_ buffer. And by "correct", I mean
> that only then will strncpy produce a C-string. If not, it's a memcpy
> and leaves the buffer unterminated. This lack of %NUL-termination leads
> to all kinds of potential "downstream" problems with reading past the
> end of the buffer, etc.
>
> One of the easiest ways to avoid bugs is to remove ambiguity, and
> strncpy is full of it. :P
>
> Almost more important than the potential lack of %NUL-termination is
> the fact that strncpy() doesn't tell other maintainers _why_ it was used
> because it has several "effects" that aren't always intended:

THIS.

It is often very difficult and takes multiple minutes to figure out whether
a destination buffer used within strncpy() is expected to be NUL-terminated
or NUL-padded. The behavior and intention of other viable replacements
(such as strscpy()) are immediately obvious to the reader.

> - is the destination supposed to be %NUL terminated? (We covered this)
> - is the destination supposed to be %NUL padded?
>
> strncpy pads the destination -- is this needed? Is it a waste of CPU
> time?

> At the cost of creating non-C-strings. And this is a completely bonkers
> result for the "C String API" to produce. :P

But yeah, this is the kicker. C String API's should produce C strings.