Re: Covering DT build in -next merge

From: Palmer Dabbelt
Date: Tue Oct 17 2023 - 16:20:34 EST

On Tue, 17 Oct 2023 13:16:21 PDT (-0700), broonie@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Stephen,

I was wondering if it might be possible to add DTB builds for relevant
architecutres to the -next merge checks (everything except x86 AFAIK)?
Some current experience suggested to me that it might be helpful for
bisecting problems found in testing, breakage building the DTBs causes
hassle since where they're used in tree DTs are required to boot the
kernel.

At least for arm and arm64 the DT build is quick enough to be negligable
in the context of building the kernel itself so hopefully it shouldn't
add too much load to do this - it's just adding a 'make dtbs' (with
appropriate cross build options) to the kernel build.

Pretty sure we're in the same shape for RISC-V these days. +Conor, who would know for sure (as he made it work).

Thanks,
Mark