Re: I can't get contributors for my C project. Can you help?

From: Bagas Sanjaya
Date: Sat Oct 07 2023 - 04:56:55 EST

On Fri, Oct 06, 2023 at 07:18:20PM +0000, chaosesqueteam@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Dear RMS;
>
> I've read that you are both a lisp and C developer. I cannot get any contributors for the longstanding C 3d engine I work on as part of my fully-free-software (including media) 3d game/architecture project. I've been working on it alone for 10 years but now have branched into supporting more 3d file types and can't do that alone.
>
> I've gone to "opensource" forums and gotten banned every single time for asking for help. Every single time. The message gets deleted. This is extremely difficult: it's not like 20 years ago when communication was free. Obvs the "opensource" community is no longer interested in any collaboration or development.
>
> The reason I wanted to find more contributors, is that I recently (last 2 years) programmed more file format support myself (wolfenstine:enemyterritory bsp support) and extended and fixed support for existing formats (obj file support for use as maps, and support for minetest and minecraft object exports as maps directly into the game, and BZFlag exported obj as maps (these didn't work at all before: now they do (bzflag and the engine previously had different opinions on what an obj file was mathmatically))). That opened up 600 3d maps with the bsp work, and then 1000s of obj files with the obj_to_mc work. So I felt I was on a roll. Sketchfab was "opened up" and lots of free-software-licensed terrain and such were easily used from there. It was nice. I wanted to keep going.
>
> I thought it might be possible to get unreal 97 and unreal tournament 99 3d map formats working: as there are tons of maps there and I used to make little 3d worlds using that format. The two main formats here are .t3d ; an ascii format (like obj) but which requires CSG math, and .unr : a binary format which pre-compiles the csg math down to vertex and face info; but is more complex a format.
>
> I found free software projects in C++ that tackle each (my project is in C): that could be used to learn the math. The t3d one even does the csg work. I just need to plead to you: please: I need contributors now. I did everything I could in these last 10 years under free-software licenses: made lots of maps, made tons of 3d models, made textures, game code (QuakeC), engine code (C). I extended the engine to beable to address up to 4 million entities, I programmed procedural map generation routines that allow creating cities out of nothing. I modeled tons of buildings, with both interiors, and level-of-detail models; so you can explore cities and not just go on the ourside of buildings. I modeled vehicles, added vehicles, programmed vehicles. I added 200 wps, and building code so players can do whatever they want in this 3d platform: from architecture, city building, town building, to fighting eachother, or racing cars, helicopters, to putting out fires. I've made music for it. All free software licensed.

> [...]

Seems like you have a userspace application issue. This ML (LKML) is for
Linux kernel development, not userspace. But if you want to contribute to
the kernel, you can apply for Outreachy program (see [1] for the announcement).

Bye!

[1]: https://lore.kernel.org/outreachy/alpine.DEB.2.22.394.2310020741050.3166@hadrien/

--
An old man doll... just what I always wanted! - Clara