Re: PPS functionality for Intel Timed I/O

From: Rodolfo Giometti
Date: Fri Oct 06 2023 - 02:24:37 EST

On 06/10/23 07:31, N, Pandith wrote:

From: Rodolfo Giometti <giometti@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2023 1:16 PM
To: N, Pandith <pandith.n@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Sangannavar, Mallikarjunappa
Subject: Re: PPS functionality for Intel Timed I/O

On 15/02/23 08:09, N, Pandith wrote:

From: Rodolfo Giometti <giometti@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, February 6, 2023 4:17 PM
To: N, Pandith <pandith.n@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Sangannavar, Mallikarjunappa
<mallikarjunappa.sangannavar@xxxxxxxxx>; D, Lakshmi Sowjanya
<lakshmi.sowjanya.d@xxxxxxxxx>; T R, Thejesh Reddy
<thejesh.reddy.t.r@xxxxxxxxx>; Hall, Christopher S
<christopher.s.hall@xxxxxxxxx>

[snip]

Mmm... I'm not sure this is correct since PPS generators should
generate their pulses according to system clock and not according to
their internal clocks even if they are synced with the system clock.

Timed I/O and system time are both driven by the *same* hardware clock.
Timed I/O is a high precision device (nanoseconds), able to output pulses.
The driver gets the system time and schedules output at target_time in
the future.

OK, in this case it would be OK. Please put an appropriate note within the
generator's code and a detailed one within Documentation/driver-api/pps.rst.

Regarding Documentation/driver-api/pps.rst let me suggest you to prose a
separate patch to rewrite the Generators section in such a way you easily can add
your solution at the end. A possible example is attached but feel free to rewrite it
according to your needs.

Ok, we are updating documentation as you have suggested as a separate patch.
Can we use your "Signed-off-by" tag for attached patch.

If you just followed my suggestion then it's OK for me.

We are adding Intel timed I/O documentation as a separate patch.

OK.

Ciao,

Rodolfo Giometti

--