[RFC v2 0/5] gpio: add pinctrl based generic gpio driver

From: AKASHI Takahiro
Date: Thu Oct 05 2023 - 10:19:02 EST

This is a revised version of my previous RFC[1]. Although I modified
the commits to make them look SCMI-independent, they are still posted
as RFC because I have never tested them on real hardware.

(background)
I'm currently working on implementing SCMI pinctrl/gpio drivers
on U-Boot[2]. Although the pinctrl driver for the kernel[3] was submitted
by EPAM, it doesn't contain the gpio driver and I believe that we should
discuss a couple of points on the kernel side to finalize my design for
U-Boot.

So this RFC is intended for reviews, especially to raise some issues.

1) how to obtain a value on an input pin
All the existing gpio drivers are set to obtain a value on an input
pin by accessing the hardware directly. In SCMI case, however, this is
just impossible in its nature and must be supported via a protocol
using "Input-value" configuration type. (See the spec[4], table-23.)

The current pinconf framework is missing the feature (the pinconf
parameter and a helper function). See patch#1, #2 and #3.

Please note that there is an issue around the pin configuration in
EPAM's current pinctrl driver as I commented[5].

2) DT bindings
I would like to propose a generic binding for pinctrl based gpio driver.
This allows a "consumer" driver to handle gpio pins like as other
normal gpio controllers support. (patch#5)

3) generic GPIO driver
Based on (2), I tried to prototype a generic driver in patch#4.
Thanks to a set of existing pinctrl_gpio helper functions, except (1),
It seems that the driver can be implemented not relying on pin controller
specific code, at least for SCMI pinctrl.

I will appreciate any comments.

-Takahiro Akashi

[1] https://lkml.iu.edu//hypermail/linux/kernel/2310.0/00362.html
[2] https://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2023-September/529765.html
[3] https://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/2308.1/01082.html
[4] https://developer.arm.com/documentation/den0056/
[5] https://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/2308.2/07483.html

AKASHI Takahiro (5):
pinctrl: define PIN_CONFIG_INPUT
pinctrl: always export pin_config_get_for_pin()
pinctrl: add pinctrl_gpio_get_config()
gpio: add pinctrl based generic gpio driver
dt-bindings: gpio: Add bindings for pinctrl based generic gpio driver

.../bindings/gpio/pin-control-gpio.yaml | 55 ++++++
drivers/gpio/Kconfig | 7 +
drivers/gpio/Makefile | 1 +
drivers/gpio/gpio-by-pinctrl.c | 165 ++++++++++++++++++
drivers/pinctrl/core.c | 19 ++
drivers/pinctrl/pinconf.h | 10 +-
include/linux/pinctrl/consumer.h | 8 +
include/linux/pinctrl/pinconf-generic.h | 5 +
create mode 100644 Documentation/devicetree/bindings/gpio/pin-control-gpio.yaml
create mode 100644 drivers/gpio/gpio-by-pinctrl.c

--
2.34.1