Re: EEVDF and NUMA balancing

From: Julia Lawall
Date: Wed Oct 04 2023 - 08:01:35 EST

On Tue, 3 Oct 2023, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 03, 2023 at 10:25:08PM +0200, Julia Lawall wrote:
> > Is it expected that the commit e8f331bcc270 should have an impact on the
> > frequency of NUMA balancing?
>
> Definitely not expected. The only effect of that commit was supposed to
> be the runqueue order of tasks. I'll go stare at it in the morning --
> definitely too late for critical thinking atm.

Maybe it's just randomly making a bad situation worse rather than directly
introduing a problem. There is a high standard deviatind in the
performance. Here are some results with hyperfine. The general trends
are reproducible.

julia

Parent of e8f331bcc270, and typical of earlier commits:

::::::::::::::
ua.C.x_yeti-4_g76cae9dbe185_performance.json
::::::::::::::
{
"results": [
{
"command": "./ua.C.x",
"mean": 30.404105904309993,
"stddev": 6.453760260515126,
"median": 29.533294615035,
"user": 3858.47296929,
"system": 11.516864580000004,
"min": 21.987556851035002,
"max": 50.464735263034996,
"times": [
34.413034851035,
27.065085820035,
26.838279920035,
26.351314604035,
32.374011336035,
25.954025885035,
23.035775634035,
44.235798762034996,
31.300110969035,
23.880906093035,
50.464735263034996,
35.448494361034996,
27.299214444035,
27.225401613035,
25.065921751035,
25.729637724035,
21.987556851035002,
26.925861508035002,
29.757618969035,
33.824266792035,
23.601111060035,
27.949622236035,
33.836797180035,
31.107119088035,
34.467454332035,
25.538367186035,
44.052246282035,
36.811265399034994,
25.450476009035,
23.805947650035,
32.977559361035,
33.023708943035,
30.331184650035002,
31.707529155035,
30.281404379035,
43.624723016035,
29.552102609035,
29.514486621035,
26.272782395035,
23.081295470035002
]
}
]
}
::::::::::::::
ua.C.x_yeti-4_ge8f331bcc270_performance.json
::::::::::::::
{
"results": [
{