Re: [Patch v4 07/13] perf/x86: Add constraint for guest perf metrics event

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Mon Oct 02 2023 - 16:41:11 EST

On Mon, Oct 02, 2023 at 08:56:50AM -0700, Sean Christopherson wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 02, 2023, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> >
> > * Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Because it sucks.
> >
> > > You're forcing people to choose between no host PMU or a slow guest PMU.
>
> Nowhere did I say that we wouldn't take patches to improve the existing vPMU
> support.

Nowhere did I talk about vPMU -- I explicitly mentioned pass-through.

> > > worse it's not a choice based in technical reality.
>
> The technical reality is that context switching the PMU between host and guest
> requires reading and writing far too many MSRs for KVM to be able to context
> switch at every VM-Enter and every VM-Exit. And PMIs skidding past VM-Exit adds
> another layer of complexity to deal with.

I'm not sure what you're suggesting here. It will have to save/restore
all those MSRs anyway. Suppose it switches between vCPUs.

> > > It's a choice out of lazyness, disabling host PMU is not a requirement
> > > for pass-through.
>
> The requirement isn't passthrough access, the requirements are that the guest's
> PMU has accuracy that is on par with bare metal, and that exposing a PMU to the
> guest doesn't have a meaningful impact on guest performance.

Given you don't think that trapping MSR accesses is viable, what else
besides pass-through did you have in mind?

> > Not just a choice of laziness, but it will clearly be forced upon users
> > by external entities:
> >
> > "Pass ownership of the PMU to the guest and have no host PMU, or you
> > won't have sane guest PMU support at all. If you disagree, please open
> > a support ticket, which we'll ignore."
>
> We don't have sane guest PMU support today.

Because KVM is too damn hard to use, rebooting a machine is *sooo* much
easier -- and I'm really not kidding here.

Anyway, you want pass-through, but that doesn't mean host cannot use
PMU when vCPU thread is not running.

> If y'all are willing to let KVM redefined exclude_guest to be KVM's outer run
> loop, then I'm all for exploring that option. But that idea got shot down over
> a year ago[*].

I never saw that idea in that thread. You virt people keep talking like
I know how KVM works -- I'm not joking when I say I have no clue about
virt.

Sometimes I get a little clue after y'all keep bashing me over the head,
but it quickly erases itself.

> Or at least, that was my reading of things. Maybe it was just a
> misunderstanding because we didn't do a good job of defining the behavior.

This might be the case. I don't particularly care where the guest
boundary lies -- somewhere in the vCPU thread. Once the thread is gone,
PMU is usable again etc..

Re-reading parts of that linked thread, I see mention of
PT_MODE_HOST_GUEST -- see I knew we had something there, but I can never
remember all that nonsense. Worst part is that I can't find the relevant
perf code when I grep for that string :/

Anyway, what I don't like is KVM silently changing all events to
::exclude_guest=1. I would like all (pre-existing) ::exclude_guest=0
events to hard error when they run into a vCPU with pass-through on
(PERF_EVENT_STATE_ERROR). I would like event-creation to error out on
::exclude_guest=0 events when a vCPU with pass-through exists -- with
minimal scope (this probably means all CPU events, but only relevant
vCPU events).

It also means ::exclude_guest should actually work -- it often does not
today -- the IBS thing for example totally ignores it.

Anyway, none of this means host cannot use PMU because virt muck wants
it.