Publication on communication structures

From: Adrian Wüthrich
Date: Fri Sep 29 2023 - 15:17:39 EST

Dear Linux Kernel Developers,

I am a researcher in history and philosophy of science at Technische
Universität Berlin.

I would like to inform you about an upcoming publication in which I
include a very short, anonymized network analysis of messages from this
list. The main topic of the publication, however, is the communication
structure of the ATLAS collaboration at CERN, the particle physics
laboratory. A draft of the paper is available at
https://tubcloud.tu-berlin.de/s/N9noYEfHqBLDtQq

For the short analysis of the linux kernel mailing list, I used the
messages sent during the year 2012 as archived on https://lkml.org/.

In the publication, I mention some global characteristics of the network
of messages and replies sent to the list – its density, for instance
(see p. 17). No email-addresses, nor names of persons, nor any content
of the messages will be published.

The paper will be published in "Synthese", a leading journal in the
philosophy of science, in the topical collection "Digital Studies of
Digital Science" [1].

If you have questions or comments concerning the publication, please
contact me at adrian.wuethrich@xxxxxxxxxxxx.

Kind regards,

Adrian Wüthrich

[1]: https://link.springer.com/journal/11229/topicalCollection/AC_1c4c69b0590f6e1f1e3f19cb34f7d769/page/1