Re: Possible bug report: kernel 6.5.0/6.5.1 high load when CIFS share is mounted (cifsd-cfid-laundromat in"D" state)

From: Paul Aurich
Date: Tue Sep 26 2023 - 21:56:10 EST

On 2023-09-19 13:23:44 -0500, Steve French wrote:
On Tue, Sep 19, 2023 at 1:07 PM Tom Talpey <tom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
These changes are good, but I'm skeptical they will reduce the load
when the laundromat thread is actually running. All these do is avoid
creating it when not necessary, right?

It does create half as many laundromat threads (we don't need
laundromat on connection to IPC$) even for the Windows server target
example, but helps more for cases where server doesn't support
directory leases.

Perhaps the laundromat thread should be using msleep_interruptible()?

Using an interruptible sleep appears to prevent the thread from contributing to the load average, and has the happy side-effect of removing the up-to-1s delay when tearing down the tcon (since a7c01fa93ae, kthread_stop() will return early triggered by kthread_stop).

~Paul